I’ve tried to cook 김치전(Kimchi Pancake) & 부추전(Chives Pancakes) for Thanksgiving dinner. I don’t like scallion personally so I prefer Chives pancakes instead. Pancakes came out okay but, the taste was not quite the same as my mom’s. I don’t know how but, she always makes everything look easier but taste amazing.
Anyway, in my opinion, my kimchi pancake had too little kimchi and it needed more spices. They recommeneded it with pork or squid. I plan to cook it again with pork or squid next time for more practice. Simple food is always harder to cook well. Chives pancake came out pretty good in my surprise. I’ve added a little bit of fresh shrimp but, squid shoud be better or you can just use chives only. Chives gives out nice flavor when you fry the pancakes… I love that scent.
Below are recipe based on collection of recipe I read and also based on my mom’s recipe:
Ingredient: 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of milk or water, 1 egg, salt, pepper, vegitable oil
1. Use old, pickled (sour taste) Kimchi – squeeze out access juice. If you prefer, you can add spices for your taste
2. Put an egg to flour then mix with 1/2 cut of milk or water to make batter. (add little bit of Kimchi juice)
3. Add, salt and pepper and if you have 다시다, use a little bit
4. If you plan to add pork, chop pork in little pieces and add salt and pepper
5. Add Kimchi & other ingredient to 3
6. Make a pancake – make sure to make them thin, it’s better thin
* sauce: soy sauce, lemon, sake or rice vinegar, mirin, fish sauce and drop of sesame oil
부추전(Chives Pancake) – This is a strictly my mom’s recipe
Ingredient: fresh shrimp(or minced beef a bit), 1-2 bundle of Chives, 2 Eggs, 2 cups of flour, 1-2 teaspoon of starch, salt, pepper and other spices
1. Clean Chives and trim both ends
2. Mince shrimps (you can use beef or clam, it’s always tastes better with little bit of protein)
3. Mix 2 eggs into 2 cups of flour and add water. Adding 1-2 teaspoon of starch helps in my opinion. You can use a little bit of 2% fat milk instead of water for smoother taste. I think thickness of batter is almost like American breakfast pancake batter.
4. Add #2 to the batter and use salt, pepper and other spices for the taste
5. Take cleaned chives and cut them into 2 or 3 pieces. (about 3 to 4 inch length) and add handful of chives to the batter *only before you fry.
6. Put vegitable oil on the frypan (preheat in medium high) and spread the batter thin and wide on the pan. the thinner it is, the tastier it gets.
* If you put all the prepared chives into the batter, it creates grassy smell due to the salt in batter, so you should add a little bit of freshly prepared chives at a time. (I should have known this tip my mom wrote in her handwritten recipe book for me -_- )